During the cooler months I often have a tray of sweet potato or potato in the oven roasting. Starchy veggies are a fantastic way to bulk up a lunch and keep you feeling satisfied, while still maintaining a low calorie density.
This salad is a delicious, warming and filling lunch that will tie you over till dinner time! Can also be served as a side dish at dinner time or made in large quantities to share at a social gathering. (You know those time where there is no other healthy food available and you wish you’d brought a salad!)
- 300 g butternut pumpkin, peeled and chopped into cubes
- 2 potatoes, peeled and chopped into cubes
- 1 capsicum, seeded and cut into 2-3cm pieces
- 1 onion, chopped into eighths
- 100 g flat mushrooms, quartered
- 1 large handful baby spinach leaves, washed
- 1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp. water
- 1 tbsp. maple syrup
- 1 tbsp. basil leaves, chopped
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Place pumpkin, potato, capsicum, onion and mushrooms on a baking tray lined with
- baking paper.
- Bake in oven until golden and crisp. Approx 30 min
- Remove from oven, set aside in a bowl ready for dressing.
- To make the dressing – place all dressing ingredients in a bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Pour overthe salad before serving.
Image Credit: Whole Foods Market