This nachos is a favourite in our house. A healthy (plant based) take on the much loved Mexican dish. We use oil free wholemeal pita bread to make our ‘chips’ but you could also use good quality corn chips.
The bean mix is super easy to prepare and if you make double, this can be used on toasted sandwiches the next day or as a Bolognese alternative. The kids love this nachos sprinkled with nutritional yeast flakes and I love it topped with siracha hot sauce!!
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 red capsicum, chopped
- 1 tsp. ground cumin powder
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. grated ginger
- 400g red kidney beans (cooked)
- 800g sun ripened tomatoes (blended)
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste (no added salt)
- 3 ripe avocados
- Juice from 1/2 lime
- 1/2 tsp. Himalayan rock salt
- Large Wholemeal Pita bread slices
- Kidney Beans: Mix all ingredients together in saucepan and simmer.
- Guacamole: Smash avocados with a fork and add lime and salt.
- Baked pita: Rip up wholemeal pita bread into desired 'chip' sizes and bake for 8 mins at 200°C (or until crunchy).
- Assemble nachos. Baked pita chips on the bottom, followed by bean mix and topped with guacamole!